About DBS Checks
What are DBS Checks?
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) provides DBS Checks to enable employers to check prospective employees’ criminal history. DBS Checks are designed to help employers make safe recruitment decisions and prevent people from doing work they’re unsuitable for.
Online DBS checks are a popular way for employers to gain the information they need seamlessly so that decisions can be made quickly.
What are the different levels of DBS Check?
There are three levels of check: Basic, Standard and Enhanced. The three levels have different eligibility requirements and reveal different information about the applicant.
- Basic: A Basic DBS Check or Basic Disclosure will show any unspent convictions or conditional cautions the applicant has.
- Standard: A Standard Check will show any spent or unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands or warnings the applicant has.
- Enhanced: An Enhanced Check will show any spent or unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands or warnings the applicant has, as well as any other relevant information held by the applicant’s local police force. Enhanced DBS checks offer employers faster checks that provide even more efficiency and accuracy.
What are the benefits of online DBS checks for employers?
Carrying out DBS checks online offers convenience, ease and faster turnaround times for receiving the results of an online DBS check. Other benefits include:
- Faster processing – Fill your positions quickly and promptly courtesy of fast processing times. We can get your online DBS check done and dusted in as little as 48 hours!
- Save time and money – Have all your DBS checks in one place with our tidy online HR software. Online DBS checks eliminate administrative headaches, saving you time and money by removing the need for processing, posting, and printing.
- Convenience – Applicants are able to complete online DBS checks through access to the uCheck platform.
- Track progress in real time – With our sleek online platform, you can stay up-to-date with the progress of your applicants in real time.
- Easily accessible results – Once the application has been completed, it’s super easy to get the results in an instant! You’ll receive an automatic email notification showing whether the Online DBS check is clear. The results certificate will be posted to the applicant, and you’ll be able to download an online summary as a PDF.
How does the uCheck HR Platform work?
Our HR Platform is a revolutionary online DBS service that enables employers to request and track DBS Checks (as well as other pre-employment checks!) quickly and easily.
The Platform seamlessly guides users through the application process, with handy tips and guidance every step of the way.
Once you’ve registered your organisation with us, your applicants will be able to add their personal details to the system.
You’ll get an automatic email notification when it’s time to proceed to the ID check, and the Platform will prompt you through to make sure you get it right.
The DBS tracking function lets you see the status of applications at a glance, and you’ll get another automatic notification as soon as a check is complete.
The Platform is designed to make DBS online checks as quick and easy as possible – but if you have any questions our dedicated Client Support Team is only a phone call, email or live chat away!
Why get DBS Checks for your employees?
uCheck is one of the UK’s leading providers of DBS Checks for employers – but what are the benefits of getting a DBS online with uCheck?
- Protect vulnerable people. DBS Checks are designed to prevent unsuitable candidates from working with vulnerable people. If you have employees who will be working in regulated activity with children or vulnerable adults, it is against the law to employ someone who is barred from working with these groups. DBS Checks are a vital part of the safeguarding process.
- Avoid risk. It’s illegal to employ someone to work in regulated activity with children or vulnerable adults if they’ve been barred from doing so. Avoid risk to both your organisation and the vulnerable groups it works with by carrying out DBS Checks when required. Our online enhanced DBS checks service is great for protecting employers and businesses in the healthcare and education sectors.
- Have confidence in your employees. DBS Checks help give you peace of mind that you’re hiring the right people for the job. If your employees aren’t eligible for Standard or Enhanced Checks, Basic Checks can give you an extra level of reassurance in your job candidates.
How to apply for online DBS checks
The application process is simple. Simply follow these five steps for any of our DBS checks, including enhanced online DBS checks.
- Register your organisation’s details with our simple sign-up form – it takes less than five minutes!
- Our dedicated team will process your registration within four working hours and provide you with access to our online portal.
- Your applicants can then access the Platform and submit their personal details.
- The Platform will guide you through the rest of the application, including the ID check, and our Client Support Team will be on hand to help if you need it.
- That’s it! Simply submit your application and wait for the results.
What happened to CRB Checks?
The DBS was formed when the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) merged with the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA).
Previously, the CRB helped employers access criminal record information through CRB Checks, and the ISA operated barred lists containing details of people who were considered unsuitable to work with children and vulnerable adults.
When the DBS formed, it took over both of these functions. DBS Checks replaced CRB Checks, with barred list checks being an additional requirement for eligible candidates.