What is an Enhanced DBS Check?
An Enhanced DBS Check is a type of criminal record check that shows any spent or unspent convictions, cautions, warnings or reprimands the applicant has – as well as any other relevant details held by the applicant’s local police force. Enhanced DBS Checks are the highest level of DBS Checks available, and they provide an excellent basis of information for you as an employer to thoroughly vet applicants for roles you advertise.
What shows up on Enhanced DBS Checks?
An Enhanced Disclosure may also include a check of the children’s and/or adults’ barred list if the applicant is eligible. Where necessary, police forces can also provide information in relation to an applicant that may provide a good reason for inclusion. Essentially, the aim of the process is to identify people who are not suitable for the vacancy or industry that they’re applying to work in. Police chiefs are responsible for what details are listed on an enhanced DBS certificate, with due consideration given to the job type and job role.
Who’s eligible for an Enhanced DBS Check?
- The application is unlikely to be eligible for any level of DBS Check, or
- You may need to view further legislation to establish whether an Enhanced Disclosure is required. Enhanced DBS Check eligibility is covered in the Police Act 1997 or the Police Act 1997 (Criminal Records) Regulations.
Perfect tool that simplifies the sometimes confusing DBS check process. Competitive prices, no hidden fees. Straightforward, quick, accurate and reliable results in record time.
What types of workplace will need Enhanced DBS Checks for their employees?
Eligibility for an Enhanced DBS Check may also be determined by the applicant’s place of work or the type of industry they work within.
- CQC registered care homes
- Schools or nurseries
- High security psychiatric hospitals
Some roles may also require the applicant to undergo a barred list check. This will be the case if the applicant engages in regulated activity with vulnerable adults and/or children – for example, by providing healthcare or personal care. Full definitions of regulated activity with adults and children are available on the DBS website.
How to apply for an Enhanced DBS Check
Applying for Enhanced DBS checks with us is simple. We streamline the process for you, courtesy of our HR Platform that guides you through the application. Our system is designed for the benefit of you as an employer, thanks to our secure online platform. Before commencing with your Enhanced DBS check application, ensure you have some or all of the following documentation at hand:
- A valid passport or driving licence with the applicant’s date of birth stated
- National Insurance number
- Utility bill
- Bank statement
- Mortgage statement
- Credit card statement
Our HR Platform will guide you through the application, prompting you to check that all applicant data is correct and the correct identity documents have been provided. Once you’ve submitted an application, our uCheck countersignatories will review it to make sure the applicant meets the eligibility criteria for a DBS Enhanced Check before submitting it to the DBS.
This helps to minimise delays as it means the DBS is less likely to query applications during the vetting process. It also ensures that you’re applying for the correct type of check for the person in question. It’s illegal for an employer to obtain a higher level of check than an applicant is eligible for. Discover more about the latest changes to Enhanced DBS Checks applications.
What are the benefits of using uCheck to obtain an Enhanced DBS Check?
- A dedicated, UK-based Client Support Team to guide you throughout the application process.
- A walk-through video to help you familiarise yourself with our Platform and its services.
- A secure Platform built in line with the latest DBS Guidance to give you peace of mind.
- Online tracking function allows you to quickly check the status of your applications.
- Downloadable online summary results for your Enhanced DBS Checks with a few clicks.