CRB Checks for Individuals (now known as DBS Checks)

As of January 2018 the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly the CRB) have launched a service for individual applicants to apply directly for a Basic Criminal Record Check. These applicants will start the process within GOV.UK, have their ID verified by GOV.UK Verify and receive a paper certificate. If you are an individual requiring a Basic CRB Check please visit the Disclosure and Barring Service website by clicking here.  If you’re an employer you can get your DBS Check online here.

Are you an employer requiring checks for applicants? VIEW OUR SCREENING SERVICES

Has your employer requested an Enhanced or Standard CRB Check (DBS Check) on your behalf?

Feel free to read our helpful applicant FAQ below!

What documents will I need to provide?

The documents you will be required to submit as part of the checking process will depend upon the type of check that is being carried out. For an Enhanced or Standard Disclosure, you must provide a range of ID documents following the 3 route ID checking process. They have a list of document groups and guidance on this can be found here.

What is a spent conviction?

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (ROA) allows most convictions to be considered ‘spent’ after a set period. Unless someone receives a prison sentence of over 4 years or has any type of indefinite order, the conviction will become spent at some point. Unless applying for some certain jobs, a person who has spent convictions and cautions does not have to disclose them to their prospective employer. From the employer’s point of view, they can’t refuse to employ someone because of spent convictions.

Is my employer allowed to keep my certificate?

There is usually no reason an employer would need to keep or photocopy a certificate once the recruitment process is complete, unless you are working within an organisation regulated by OFSTED, CSSIW, or a CQC regulated residential care home. The certificate is your property and apart from these exceptions, an employer can only hold onto it with your permission for the length of time of its intended purpose only.

I’ve lost my certificate, can I get a replacement?

In some cases you can request a reprint of your certificate, this is usually if you have never received it in the post. This can only be requested by an applicant contacting the DBS customer support line. There is a time frame the governing body have with regards to reprints, so applicants must be aware that it’s at the DBS’ discretion as to whether they will issue another copy. If you have lost your certificate after it has been delivered, it cannot be replaced, and the only way to get another one would be to undergo a new check.

What will show up on my CRB Check (DBS Check)?

Standard CRB Checks will show any unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings, as well as any spent convictions or cautions that were not removed by filtering. Enhanced CRB Checks will show the same information as a Standard CRB Check, but will also include any intelligence provided by the police, which they feel may be relevant when making recruitment decisions. An Enhanced CRB Check with Barred List Check, provides the same information as an Enhanced only level Check, but also includes any information on the Adults’ and/or Children’s Barred lists.

I’ve changed addresses, can I update my certificate?

If the application is still in the vetting process and no certificate has been issued, the applicant can contact the governing body to inform them. The Umbrella Body used by the employer can also provide this update. Once the certificate has been issued and the applicant requires the address to be changed, unfortunately a new application must be completed.

Who receives a copy of my certificate?

Since June 17th 2013, only the applicant themselves receive a copy of the Certificate. This is sent to the current address that is provided on the application.

What is the update service?

Applicants can subscribe to the Update Service, for an annual fee, once the DBS have received their application. Registration to the service can also be completed within 30 calendar days of the certificate issue date. This service is available for a yearly subscription, and will securely store the individual’s certificate online, where the applicant or an employer can check it at any time. The update service is an applicant led initiative and an application can only be registered to the service by the individual whose check it is; the employer/organisation cannot do this on the applicant’s behalf. The governing body have issued guidance on this process confirming such information, please find this guidance here. This enables employers and recruiters to see if a new check is required, based on whether the update service shows any of the individual’s information has changed, or if a more extensive check is required. The service also means the individual’s certificate is portable between different roles and employers within similar industries requiring the same level of checks.

Please note – this is not an FAQ for individuals that have requested their own CRB Check (DBS Basic Criminal Record Check) directly with the Disclosure and Barring Service.

Any Questions?

Contact us via live chat, email or call us on 08431780818