0300 140 0022
< Back to Resources

DBS Checks For Children’s Entertainers: The Lowdown

girl at a birthday party

When it comes to working with children, there are lots of rules and regulations that must be taken into account.

Safeguarding kids has become extremely important and is taken very seriously. Teachers, social workers, care workers, doctors and health visitors must all be DBS checked, but what about kids’ party performers?

Here’s the lowdown on whether children’s entertainers need a DBS Check or not.

The Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 was introduced so it could further protect children, the elderly or vulnerable people from coming into contact with unsuitable individuals.

In order to enforce and monitor these people, the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) was set up. The department vet and regulate prospective employees on behalf of organisations looking to fill vacancies which would require working with the three groups already outlined.

Lower risk

It is not essential for a children’s entertainer to undergo a DBS Check, although it would certainly help to promote your services.

Even though entertainers work with children, most party set ups would not require you to be left alone with the young people, so the risk is deemed significantly lowered.

However, some local authorities and schools may insist you provide relevant documentation to prove you’re safe to work with children.

If you are an entertainment business then it is possible to pay an umbrella company, such as uCheck, to carry out the DBS Check

uCheck is one of the top five Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) umbrella bodies in the country.

Providing an up-to-date check is an excellent way of proving you are suitable to work as a children’s entertainer and gives parents, who would be looking to hire you, complete peace of mind.

Simple process

Although requesting a DBS Check might sound a complicated process, it really is quite simple.

It takes just five minutes to apply for one online. Before you begin you will need to make sure you have various details to hand, which will be required in order to complete the application.

You’ll need to have all the addresses you’ve lived at within the last five years, a copy of either your passport or birth certificate and a copy of a utility bill or bank statement which will be used to confirm your current address. At least three forms of ID are required – and details are provided here.

All the documents can either be uploaded online, emailed over, faxed or posted. The application process cannot begin until the documents have been seen and payment has been completed.

DBS Checks for children’s entertainers – conclusion

Hopefully this blog will have given you a bit of background on DBS Checks for children’s entertainers.

If you have any questions or would like to speak with someone about why you might want to undergo a DBS Check as a children’s entertainer, then get in touch with uCheck today, who would be happy to help.

Our blogs are advisory in nature and reflect uCheck Limited’s current thinking about best and common practice in the subjects discussed.

The information contained in our blogs have been provided for information purposes only. This information does not constitute legal, professional, or commercial advice. Whilst every care has been taken to ensure that the content is up to date, useful and accurate, uCheck gives no guarantees, undertakings, or warranties in this regard, or, for any loss or damage caused arising directly or indirectly in connection with reliance on the use of such information.

uCheck Logo