Checking a potential employee’s proof of right to work is essential.
Employers have a legal duty to make sure all employees are allowed to work in the UK before they start their employment.
At uCheck, we offer Right to Work Checks through our online platform, making the process easy, convenient and secure.
What are Right to Work Checks?
Right to Work Checks involve checking that a potential employee has the right to work in the UK by verifying a document they’ve provided, such as a passport or biometric residence permit.
Employers are required to carry out a Right to Work Check on all employees, and the check must be done before the employee starts work.
If an employee’s right to work is time limited, you must also carry out a follow-up check.
Why should I check employees’ proof of right to work?
It’s against the law to employ someone who doesn’t have the right to work the in UK. You could be liable for a civil penalty if the government finds out one of your employees is working illegally and you’ve failed to carry out a Right to Work Check on them.
If you’re found guilty of employing someone who you knew or had ‘reasonable cause to believe’ didn’t have the right to work in the UK, you could face up to five years in jail and/or an unlimited fine.
What are the benefits of carrying out Right to Work Checks online?
Checking an employee’s proof of right to work via our online platform is a great way to streamline the process.
Here are some of the benefits of using our online platform for your Right to Work Checks:
- Central view: See all screening information at a glance in one place.
- Tips and guidance: You’ll be guided through the Right to Work Checking process with pop-ups and checklists to make sure you follow the Home Office-approved process.
- Correct document selection: Our platform will only offer the correct documents as options, so you can be sure you’re checking the right ones.
- Electronic document verification: We offer electronic verification of passports, national ID cards and biometric residence permits, which will screen the documents to identify any tampering or fraud.
- Easy follow-up checks: You’ll have the option to re-check an employee’s proof of right to work when the original check expires, keeping all the data in one place.
- Store data correctly: If you submit an employee’s leave date, our system will ensure their document images are stored for as long as they need to be, and no longer.
- Reports at the click of a button: If the Home Office audits you, you may need to recover all your records to prove you’ve carried out Right to Work Checks correctly. Our system enables you to produce a custom report at the click of a button.
- Secure auditing: Time, date and personnel stamps will be added at every stage of the process. These are much more secure than a date and signature on photocopied documents, as they cannot be altered or tampered with.
- Stay up-to-date with legislation: The coming years are likely to see lots of legislation changes as the UK leaves the European Union. Our system will be continually updated to match the government guidelines as and when they change, so you can be sure you’ll stay compliant.
As you can see, checking your employees’ proof of right to work via our online system makes the process much simpler, taking care of all the paperwork for you.Back to Blogs
Our blogs are advisory in nature and reflect uCheck Limited’s current thinking about best and common practice in the subjects discussed.
The information contained in our blogs have been provided for information purposes only. This information does not constitute legal, professional, or commercial advice. Whilst every care has been taken to ensure that the content is up to date, useful and accurate, uCheck gives no guarantees, undertakings, or warranties in this regard, or, for any loss or damage caused arising directly or indirectly in connection with reliance on the use of such information.